[Digikam-users] Venting and asking for guidance

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Tue Aug 23 08:31:15 BST 2011

Op 23-08-11 06:04, Ozzy schreef:

> I mostly use my Dell XPS laptop for photography related stuff. The
> most annoying problems are:
>

> -choppy scrolling (when moving up and down with albums). I cannot
> really blame dK, it could be a problem with Ubuntu 11.04 and my nVidia
> video card.

certainly not Ubuntu, I scroll like .. here on Ubuntu 11.4 even with my
photo´s on an slow external 2,5 inch drive. But I have my db on the
internal drive.
Did you use the tool ¨rebuild all thumbnails¨ , that is essential, for
comfortable scrolling.

> -tooltip readability. There is another post for that. I thought that
> everybody using Ubuntu had the problem but maybe not (Rinus?).

Yes me too, but never mind.

> -imagen editor (F4) menu and the infamous unity bar.....

Unity bar? I did not know such terrible thing ever exists in digikam. I
have my ubuntu set to classic. And removed the terrible overlay
scrollbar as well, so everything is great.
Need help to do so, ask!

> -tag customization, I am tired of deleting some old thags only to find
> that they are back....

I do not store tags in pictures, so I don´t think I have that problem if
i have I am not aware of it.

> And in general, I was looking for comments around new hardware. My XPS
> laptop is only 13in.

I use a laptop HP Pavilion dv7 with an AMD Phenom(tm) II N930 Quad-Core
Processor, 4Gb memory, but my desktop computer with lower specs and less
memory is more speedy.
So specs is not everything, and if I am well informed your laptop has an
I5 processor, wich is not so bad at all. Your screen is indeed small,
mostly no problem to the younger of age, but as I am no longer one of
them, I had to dispose my 15 inch and use now 17 inch wich is fine for me.

Regards,
Rinus