[Digikam-users] Venting and asking for guidance

David Talmage talmage at acm.org
Mon Aug 22 04:43:01 BST 2011

On Sunday, August 21, 2011 07:55:53 PM Ozzy wrote:
> This time, I want to see if I can start from scratch. Here is where I need
> your help. To those of you with no performance problems using Ubuntu and
> digiKam (if nothing else works I would try Kubuntu, but not for now):
>
> What are your computer specs (including monitor)?

Toshiba Portege R705-P25; Intel Core i3-350M Processor; 8GB RAM; 500GB HD;
13.3", 1366x768 internal monitor

Dell 2408-WFP monitor 24", 1920x1200

> What distro are you using (version)?

Kubuntu 11.04

> Any tweak you needed when after installing Ubuntu and before installing
> digiKam?

No tweaks.

I'm happy with the way this setup works.  I sometimes use only the internal
monitor and it's good enough.  I don't do a lot of printing or editing.
Mostly, I use digikam to catalog my photos.

For what it's worth, until about a year ago, I ran digikam on an Asus EEE PC
1000 with 2GB RAM and a 32GB SSD, a faster one than came with it.  It was
slow, but it worked.  I think the SSD made it slow. It ran Kubuntu 10.04.  I
stopped using it because I ran out of space for my pictures. Otherwise, if I
remembered to be patient, it was good enough for me.

I've also run digikam on a Mac Mini.  I used whatever version was in Mac Ports
and a more modern version under VirtualBox + Xubuntu.  Both were satisfactory
when they worked but maintaining the Mac Ports version was more work than I
wanted and I had occasional problems with Xubuntu after upgrading VirtualBox.
I think that led me to the EEE PC which led me to my Toshiba.