[Digikam-users] digikam not opening in Mint

Sveinn í Felli sveinki at nett.is
Sat Aug 20 20:06:53 BST 2011

Þann lau 20.ágú 2011 17:52, skrifaði Dr. Martin Senftleben:

> Hi Paul (and others),
>
> Am 20.08.2011 19:37, schrieb Paul Verizzo:
>> Thanks all for suggestions, but here are my responses:
>
> I use Mint and have absolutely no problem with DigiKam. But you may need
> to install the KDE-support packages, since Mint comes with Gnome and
> digikam needs some packages from KDE which are not installed by default.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Martin

Same here; using Mint for several years - DigiKam has always
worked nicely. Though there are extra repositories I
normally prefer to enable (for example the ppa's from Philip)*.

>> 1.  Mint IS Ubuntu which IS Debian which all use the Debian package
>> system.  Apparently some are not aware of the heritage and app loading
>> methods.

And Kubuntu IS known for having problems with KDE ;-)

>> 2.  I'm not going to chase distros to find one that works to open digiKam.
>>
>> 3.  I'm not going to do things in console for the same reason.

No, but maybe you'd do it just to get more info on the problem.

>> 4.  I want to use a program, not live for it.

Ditto.

>> At this rate and frustration level, I might just reclaim the space for
>> NTFS and continue with Windows digiKam.

Maybe I missed something; did you tell which version of Mint
and which version of DigiKam/Kipi etc... ?

Best regards

Sveinn í Felli

* My LinuxMint 11 GNOME has additional repos like:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/philip5/extra/ubuntu maverick main
http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu maverick main