[Digikam-users] face detection scanning, but no faces come up

Philip Johnsson philip.johnsson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 15:57:35 BST 2011

Sounds like you have some sort of glitch with Digikam 2.0 that doesn't
work as it should. Either with the install or your configuration
files.

For starters just check that the installed components are the same
versions in both. You can easily do this from within Digikam. Go to
the Help menu and select "Components Information". Compare them and
see if there are any differences between the two systems you use.

If they look the same the next step would be to see if Digikam really
finds the data files for face detection.  The easy way to do this is
to start Digikam from your favorite console/terminal by just typing
digikam and hit enter. Digikam will start any you likely see some
messages. Now go to the  "People" section within Digikam where you do
the face detection scan and do a scan (you might need to select scan
again and merge" in the drop down menu in "Scanning faces"). When you
do this you should look in your console/terminal again and hopefully
get a message that Digikam have found your Cascade directory. You
should see a line like this "Cascade directory located as :
/usr/share/kde4/apps/libkface/haarcascades" or maybe but not likely
"Cascade directory located as : /usr/share/opencv". If you see that
then that's good so far.

If both the components information are the same and it finds the
haarcascades then the problem might be with your users digikam
configuration files or something more arcane.

Start with this and see what you find.

Regards,

Philip