[Digikam-users] How to organise - Work, archive, backups

Leo Noordhuizen leo.noordhuizen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 13:43:29 BST 2011

Hello photoenthousiasts,

I am an amateur photographer using a Canon 40D and a Panasonic Lumix
DMC-TZ10. With the Canon I use RAW.

I have a problem or challenge as some would say. I hope some of you can
advise me.

I have a large collection of images, either taken digitally, or as a result
of my attempts to scan my collection of slides and negatives.

The question is how to store, archive and backup.

Archiving is not the biggest challenge. I can use (and have used)
archive-quality DVDs and or a USB Disk.
Lately I purchased a 320 Gbyte 2.5 inch drive, which is easily stored in a
safe place and can hold many images.

But the more recent images and the newly created ones are the challenge.
For example how to organise them. Currently I use a date-based directory
tree like: /YYYY/YYYYMM/YYYYMMDD/<image>.

I keep the RAW images as I always want to be able to go back to them.
Now where do I put processed images... In the same directory as the original
images, or should I create 2 separate trees, one only for the originals and
one for all images created from those originals ?
Of course, because I store all images Date-based, I need a tool like DigiKam
to add tags to the images in order to be able to find them back, based on
subject or event.

Can any of you advise me or point me at a website for example where accepted
methods are described ?

Thanks in advance.

Leo Noordhuizen