[Digikam-users] Re: Save metadata to files not working

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Thu Oct 28 21:14:10 BST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 28. Oktober 2010 schrieb Ben Staude:
> Am Montag 25 Oktober 2010 schrieb Martin (KDE):
>
> [...]
>
> > It is a feature. You can enable timestamp update in the
> > configuration dialogue (metadata) and there in the first tab
> > (Verhalten in german).
>
> Thanks for the hint - I found the option and, while thinking about
> whether I really want the timestamp updated, finally decided that
> it might be best to not save metadata to the image files at all:)
> That's the way my old tool did it and I am fine with it (as long as
> the sqlite file is backed up...). Or is it "best practice" to save
> it into the image files?

This depends. If you store the meta data to the file, you can see these
data with other tools as well. I for my point do this. Most of the
time I use gimp to edit pictures. If the exif data are in the file,
they survive editing. Without storing to file I had some meta data loss
after editing with gimp.

> > > Still confused by the warning/error message, I found out that
> > > once I edit/modify and save one image in the album (F4),
> > > digiKam somehow does/gets a filesystem update and doesn't
> > > print the warning/error message any more, even when metadata
> > > of another image in the album is changed!?
>
> The warning/error message is still present. Although I do not
> observe any real problem with it, I'm still a bit concerned about
> it. Any suggestions, or has this maybe been fixed since digiKam
> 1.2.0? This is the message again:
> Digikam::CollectionScanner::scanAlbum: Folder does not exist or is
> not readable:  "/foo/bar.jpg". Note it's complaining about the
> *folder*, but printing the path to a single *file*.

I never had a warning like this. But version 1.2 is a little outdated.
May be updating to current version gets rid of this error. But maybe
you have added the file "/foo/bar.jpg" as folder to your collection?

Martin