[Digikam-users] DNG to PNG file size

Josh Jones jrjones00 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 04:58:05 BST 2010

  Hello,
I am using Digikam 1.5 with Kubuntu 10.10. I shoot  and import into
Digikam with DNG and save as PNG when using the image editor.  My
question is why do I get such a large PNG file after performing very
small changes (levels, etc) to the images?  For example, I started out
with a 10.7MB DNG file, adjusted the level, saved file as PNG with level
9 compression, and received a 45.7MB file.  Both are 16bpp, and I just
can't figure out where all the extra comes from.  Any thoughts?
Thanks