[Digikam-users] Re: Half-size raw in light table

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Tue Oct 12 08:03:37 BST 2010

> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying - do you mean that this is
> intentional behaviour as it's quicker to show a half-size raw than the full
> size?
>
> I'm happy that the preview mode shows the embedded jpeg - this makes sense
> because normally I just want to quickly run through the images to weed out
> the poor ones or find the one I'm looking for.  However, I use the light
> table to make careful selections between two similar images.  For instance
> I'll use the light table to select which image has the best focus in a
> series of images of a specific macro subject.  For this reason I
> specifically want the full size raw, not the half-size - I'm checking the
> fine details.  I don't care that it takes long, I'm not using this for
> every image, just the ones I'm really interested in.
>
> Is it impossible to get the full size raw on the light table?

Currently, yes.
If you think of what data a raw image contains
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosaicing
you'll see that the half-size preview is not really the full image cut by
half, but rather to a large portion the full data available, not interpolated
to full size.
(nonetheless there will be users like you who really want full size, I can
understand that wish)

Marcel