[Digikam-users] Re: Half-size raw in light table

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 16:17:57 BST 2010

2010/10/11 Gys van Zyl <gysvanzyl at gmail.com>:
> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying - do you mean that this is
> intentional behaviour as it's quicker to show a half-size raw than the full
> size?
> I'm happy that the preview mode shows the embedded jpeg - this makes sense
> because normally I just want to quickly run through the images to weed out
> the poor ones or find the one I'm looking for.  However, I use the light
> table to make careful selections between two similar images.  For instance
> I'll use the light table to select which image has the best focus in a
> series of images of a specific macro subject.  For this reason I
> specifically want the full size raw, not the half-size - I'm checking the
> fine details.  I don't care that it takes long, I'm not using this for every
> image, just the ones I'm really interested in.
> Is it impossible to get the full size raw on the light table?

no because it take a while. decoding half size raw is faster.

Of course using JPEG embedded is very fast (less than one second).

To compare with ARW files, half raw size take 5~10s, and full raw size
take 15~20s (loaded in editor)

These tile can change accordingly with RAW decoding settings, as NR for example.
Of course, if you libkdcraw is compiled with parallel demosaicing
(OpenMP support), it will be faster.

Gilles Caulier