[Digikam-users] Copying albums

Sonja lists234 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 22:34:52 GMT 2010

I have:
* Internal hard drive on my laptop with just under 30,000 photos
(about 135Gb). They are mostly raw (Canon .cr2 files) and some have
tags associated with them in the database.

* External usb hard drive.

Because I'm running out of space on my internal hard drive and I
sometimes want to work on my photos on a friends computer I would like
to copy my photos to the external drive while remembering the tags.

The Digikam .db files will stay on my internal drive, the unproven
theory is it will run faster and I read somewhere not to put them on a
remote file system.

In a file browser I copied my photos dir to the external drive then
added it as a collection to digikam, then deleted the original
collection reference in digikam and lost my tags <oops> I restored a
backup .db.

Next I tried making a dir on the external drive, adding it as
collection in digikam and then using the album view panel in digikam
to drag and drop the directories but there was only the option of
moving them and I want to copy.

I'm not very keen on tampering with the original file so I don't want
to save the tags in the meta data. (Eagerly awaiting digikam 2.0 with
sidecar files next year. :-)

I'm unsure what to try next, any suggestions?

From Help>About I'm running:
Version 1.2.0
Using KDE Development Platform 4.4.2 (KDE 4.4.2)

Sonja