[Digikam-users] Albums: how do you organize them?

jim junk junk_jim at hotmail.com
Sat May 1 20:49:57 BST 2010

There are two taging system.  The older IPTC and the newer XMP.  In the right window you can click on METADATA and see the tags for both types.  The IPTC tags don't support hierarchies but the XMP tags do.  So if you need to have IPTC tags then you need to click on each item in the hierarchy but if XMP is what you want then just click on the last item int the hierarchy and you get everything above it.

The great thing about hierarchical tags is that you can come in anywhere in the hierarchy and get everything below that point.  So to use your example in the Europe/France/Paris/Montmartre tag you could go to the left window>Tags>click on Paris and you would get all the tags and images that are below that level including Montmartre.  You could also click on France and get all of the tags and images below that hierarchy including Paris and Montmartre.

If you move the tag like you mentioned the old tag is erased and a new tag created and if you have Digikam set up right the changes will be written to both the database and to the images.
You could however just create a new tag and still have the Paris query option.

I highly recommend experimenting with tags and comments and templates as they don't always seem to work the way I think they will.  That's probably my problem but remember that we can always change things by reordering the heirarchy and we can use the existing tags to assist us.

.