[Digikam-users] Albums: how do you organize them?

Sebastian Schubert schubert.seb at googlemail.com
Sat May 1 08:22:44 BST 2010

Hi Micha,

On Friday 30 April 2010 22:44:55 Micha Neubauer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm just curious how you organize your albums in digikam.
>
> Many of you organise your photos with tags, very often they seem to be
> organised hierarchically. Do you then tag the whole hierarchy or just the
> lowest one? For example: Europe/France/Paris/Montmartre
> Then later on I might decide to move the Montmartre tag away from Paris and
> put it under Europe/France/Hills/Montmartre. What happens then to the tags
> which are written in the metadata (IPTC or XMP)? When I always tag the
> whole hierarchy it is a lot of work and might end in a mess. But when I
> only tag Montmartre, I do not have an easy possibility to just filter all
> images of Paris or France.

There is the possibility to get all Paris pics. Just right click on "My tags"
and choose Select -> Children on Paris. You can also make this the default:
Toggle Auto -> Children. So guess your question is answered. ;) At least I tag
only the very last item, Montmartre in this case.

HTH,
Sebastian

PS: @others: Thanks for the input, I'll try a bit and describe the result
later.