[Digikam-users] Organizing mode

Julien Narboux jnarboux at narboux.fr
Wed Mar 17 19:59:43 GMT 2010

Simon Oosthoek a écrit :
> Julien Narboux wrote:
>
>> Simon Oosthoek a écrit :

>>> I agree that it would be useful to have more flexible organising
>>> capabilities in digikam, since it already is/appears to be a photo
>>> management tool, I think it would already help a lot if digikam could
>>> handle multiple selections in the directory/album tree for moving them
>>> around.
>>>

>> Please add a wish in bko if there is not already one.
>>

>>> Since digikam relies a lot on storing stuff in a database (tags and
>>> metadata), with this comes the burden of re-implementing common
>>> filesystem tools in an accessible manner. (Unless Nepomuk is going to be
>>> handling the database, but I don't like nepomuk)
>>>

>> I don't understand exactly what do you mean, which common filesystem
>> tools do you need ?
>>

> I usually manage files and directories using basic shell commands, but
> even in graphical tools there are advanced ways of managing directories.
> I'd lile to batch-rename directories, move groups of directories at
> once, etc. I know there are tools inside digikam to manipulate the
> files, I'm not talking about those. Other tools I've mentioned above and
> below.

As Digikam is based on the real directory structure, maybe you can
manage directories using standard tools such as Dolphin, but still it
would be nice to have such feature in Digikam itself.
>>> I'd also like group renaming for directories and such.
>>>

>> Please add a wish in bko if there is not already one.
>>

>>> More intelligent
>>> matching of RAW files to their JPEG counterparts, or any image and their
>>> derivatives (done by digikam or an external program like the gimp).
>>>

>> There is already a wish about that in bko.
>>

> I know about bugs.kde.org, I didn't check before posting, is that a
> no-no on this list?

what is a no-no ?

>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> PS, off-topic, but I noticed that a lot of messages here go unanswered,
>>> I don't think that's a good sign!
>>>

>> I think the message was unanswered because it was a general idea, with
>> no precise thought about what to be done. If we are more precise we can
>> start discussing the possible guis, and what people like and what people
>> do not like.
>>

> Well, this is a list called "digikam-users", IMO users should always get
> an answer when they manage to find the mailinglist to post a problem.
> The reply can be a semi-canned response pointing to bko, acknowledging
> the problem or even better, providing a quick hint towards a solution.
> No reply means ignoring a possible new user, friend, contributor, etc.
>
> Developers and alpha/beta users can handle a lot more terse responses,
> users need some friendly pointers.

Sorry I did not mean one has to be not friendly, new users are always
welcome,
 I just meant that I did not answer myself in the first place because I
had no strong opinion about this.

Cheers,

Julien