[Digikam-users] Organizing mode

Simon Oosthoek somlist at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 17 19:52:24 GMT 2010

Julien Narboux wrote:
> Simon Oosthoek a écrit :
>
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>

>>> Right now Digikam has two modes: Viewing and Editing. It seems to me
>>> that there actually needs to be a third mode, Organizing, which would
>>> have less emphasis on things like zooming and panning but would have
>>> more emphasis on tagging, deleting, grouping (see bug #121310), filing
>>> into albums, and making little touchups like redeye removal. I find
>>> that the first time I go through new photos from the camera, I am
>>> organizing them and need these features to be readily available.
>>> However, the future times that I go through the photos my emphasis is
>>> on enjoying the photos, not on organizing them.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>

>> I agree that it would be useful to have more flexible organising
>> capabilities in digikam, since it already is/appears to be a photo
>> management tool, I think it would already help a lot if digikam could
>> handle multiple selections in the directory/album tree for moving them
>> around.
>>

> Please add a wish in bko if there is not already one.
>
>> Since digikam relies a lot on storing stuff in a database (tags and
>> metadata), with this comes the burden of re-implementing common
>> filesystem tools in an accessible manner. (Unless Nepomuk is going to be
>> handling the database, but I don't like nepomuk)
>>

> I don't understand exactly what do you mean, which common filesystem
> tools do you need ?

I usually manage files and directories using basic shell commands, but
even in graphical tools there are advanced ways of managing directories.
I'd lile to batch-rename directories, move groups of directories at
once, etc. I know there are tools inside digikam to manipulate the
files, I'm not talking about those. Other tools I've mentioned above and
below.
>> I'd also like group renaming for directories and such.
>>
> Please add a wish in bko if there is not already one.
>
>> More intelligent
>> matching of RAW files to their JPEG counterparts, or any image and their
>> derivatives (done by digikam or an external program like the gimp).
>>

> There is already a wish about that in bko.

I know about bugs.kde.org, I didn't check before posting, is that a
no-no on this list?

>> Cheers
>>
>> PS, off-topic, but I noticed that a lot of messages here go unanswered,
>> I don't think that's a good sign!
>>

> I think the message was unanswered because it was a general idea, with
> no precise thought about what to be done. If we are more precise we can
> start discussing the possible guis, and what people like and what people
> do not like.

Well, this is a list called "digikam-users", IMO users should always get
an answer when they manage to find the mailinglist to post a problem.
The reply can be a semi-canned response pointing to bko, acknowledging
the problem or even better, providing a quick hint towards a solution.
No reply means ignoring a possible new user, friend, contributor, etc.

Developers and alpha/beta users can handle a lot more terse responses,
users need some friendly pointers.

Cheers

Simon