[Digikam-users] 100% magnification for JPG and DNG (RAW)

Rei Shinozuka shino at panix.com
Sat Mar 13 01:20:39 GMT 2010

I am running digiKam 1.0.0-beta5 currently on Ubuntu 9.04, but the
behavior I am about to explain has been with me well before digiKam
version 1.0.

When I set my camera to take JPG and DNG (RAW) simultaneously, the
camera deposits both JPG and DNG files of the same image capture on the
SD card.

In Digikam, I find that JPG will zoom to 100% (keystroke "1") as
expected, but DNG will zoom far less.  In fact, I must zoom DNGs to 207%
to achieve the same magnification as 100% in JPG.  When I click on an
image in an album, the JPG would come up and say "Zoom: 21%," and the
identical image as DNG will say "Zoom: 43%." (also just over 200% of the
JPG)    Somehow the scaling in DNG is confused.

Digikam sees the files:

Type: RAW Image file (DNG)
Dimension 3,920x2,638 (10.34Mpx)
Bit depth: 16 bpp
Color mode: Uncalibrated (RAW)

Type: JPEG
Dimensions: 3,936x2,624 (10.33Mpx)
Bit depth: 8 bpp
Color mode: YCbCr

The camera is a Leica M8.

Other RAW formats I have seem to exhibit the same behavior, RWL (Leica
DLUX4) and CR2 (Canon RAW).  NEF (Nikon RAW) files I have don't seem to
show this problem.

Thanks in advance,  I am a huge digiKam fan, I rely on it 100% for photo
editing and organizing.

-rei