[Digikam-users] Giving my wife access from her WINDOWS computer?

Rei Shinozuka shino at panix.com
Fri Jun 25 16:53:32 BST 2010

On 06/25/2010 11:41 AM, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Freitag, 25. Juni 2010 schrieb Linuxguy123:

>>> How about using a NAS?
>>>
>> Good qestion.   You mean I should set up a network storage system
>> whereby I could run digikam on my computer and manipulate the
>> images with my database and she could do the same ?
>>
>> Is anyone doing this ?
>>
> I did this for one or to years, but switched back to local copy of
> database (this is much faster). At login I copy my DB from the server
> to my local home directory and at logout I copy it back to the server.
> But I have a NFS server running. I don't know if it works with
> CIFS/Samba as well.
>

>> For some reason I thought that digikam didn't work with networked
>> storage.   Does it ?
>>
> It works, but it is not recommended. If your network is shaky, your
> database will be damaged.
>
> Martin

digikam 1.2 tells one that "remote file system, such as NFS cannot be
used" for database file path (I guess locking issues).  So the database
I keep local.

I have my albums on NFS (though mounted as a "Local Collection"). My PCs
can get to the share via samba. I use a $100 Dlink DNS-321 with a pair
of 2 TB drives on RAID-1.  The Dlink serves NFS and SMB.  its not the
fastest thing around for 35MB raw files, even on gigabit ethernet, but
it's worked reliably for me for a couple of years.  the NAS gives you
peace of mind when you upgrade your system from 9.04 to 9.10 to 10.04 to
know your storage is agnostic.

-rei