[Digikam-users] Giving my wife access from her WINDOWS computer?

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Fri Jun 25 16:41:37 BST 2010

Am Freitag, 25. Juni 2010 schrieb Linuxguy123:
> On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 14:22 +0200, Stefan Grosse wrote:
> > Am 23.06.2010 00:54, schrieb Linuxguy123:
> > > Does anyone have any ideas for accessing images from a Windows
> > > computer ?  Ie, one NOT running Linux ?
> >
> > How about using a NAS?
>
> Good qestion.   You mean I should set up a network storage system
> whereby I could run digikam on my computer and manipulate the
> images with my database and she could do the same ?
>
> Is anyone doing this ?

I did this for one or to years, but switched back to local copy of
database (this is much faster). At login I copy my DB from the server
to my local home directory and at logout I copy it back to the server.
But I have a NFS server running. I don't know if it works with
CIFS/Samba as well.

> For some reason I thought that digikam didn't work with networked
> storage.   Does it ?

It works, but it is not recommended. If your network is shaky, your
database will be damaged.

Martin