[Digikam-users] tag structure

jim junk junk_jim at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 23 02:48:10 BST 2010

Good thread and thanks for the link to Shirky.

I look at your problem through different eyes and so I don't see a real problem.
Lets look at your examples... /city/Munich/English Garden and /city/London/Hyde Park both have a garden or park tag but the tag is the name of the geographic location in which the photo was taken and not a description of what kind of place it is.  There are many, many places that have the name park in them and they're not a park in any sense of the word.  You must have other photos from those cities where you've tagged them with place names as well.  That tag simply gets you to a place in the city.

You can see that I'm heading to a second hierarchy for park and maybe even garden.
I know your concerned about multiple tags but I don't see how you can get around it.  Did you take a picture of a friend in one of your "Parks"; well then you have a tag for them as well.  Maybe you were out with a bunch of your friends; you'll have a tag for each of them.  Took a picture of a bird or some other animal in the park and you have a tag for them as well.  The camera has already given you a bunch of tags.  A few more don't seem like a problem to ME.

One of the reasons I like tags is that it gives you many approaches to accessing your data, photos.  Many of the people on this site use a simple date folder hierarchy to organize their photos and clearly it works for them but such an organizational scheme only gives you access by date unless the photographer can remember what was taken and when it was taken.  Multiple tags gets around that problem.  With tags you can do simple queries and find what you want.  In my workplace if anyone needs a picture they come to me because they know that while I don't have that many photos, 12,000, I can find a photo in minutes.  Need a photo of staff engaged in prescribed fire, I can find 50 of them in minutes and most of the time was in waiting for the program to boot up.

One of the amazing things about tags is that they look and act a lot like folders.  Yes  we're back to that folder hierarchy but that means that we can rename tags or drag and drop them to new hierarchies and the software will change all of the tags in the photos for us.  No opening the images.

For me the moral of the story is just create tags and worry about getting it right later.  I know it's not very elegant  but the space occupied by a few tags is nothing compared to the ten megapixel image itself.

OK tagging is not perfect.  I agree with that but it seems to work.  I should tell you that sometimes I also add a lengthy description of the photo in the comment tag just because the other tags don't seem adequate and yes I can query on that as well.