[Digikam-users] Loosing all Metadata when editing

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 07:56:40 BST 2010

2010/7/25 Max Bedacht <bedachtm at gmail.com>:
> I am loosing all metadata when I edit an image with the built-in editor or
> Showfoto and do a save-as.
>
> I have processed the images as follows:
>
> Convert from .cr2 to .png using the Batch Raw Converter tool (after this the
> metadata is still there);
> Geotag (after this the metadata is still there);
> Edit using F4 or Showfoto - I have done free-rotate and color adjust, and
> just color adjust)
> Save as .png with a new name.
>
> After the save all the metadata is gone.
> I get an error if I try to import the metadata from the original converted
> .png
>
> I have done the editing sequence using Photoshop Elements 4.0 Editor
> (installed with WINE) and with this the metadata is preserved.
>
> Has anybody run into this?

Yes, me too. I processed around 130 RAW photo in editor (ARW to PNG),
and sometimes, metadata are lost.

It's not reproducible each time.

I take a look in source code and PNG writter has the right code to
backup metadata with Exiv2.

I suspect something like this : i use a tool in editor and metadata
are lost at this time, but still displayed in right side bar. You see
the lossy action after to save and take a look back in target file.

I process my RAW files like this : Raw import tool, ratio crop, free
rotation, and sometimes some color correction tools, as
B&W. I don't use CM there.

As developer, i use all code from trunk, kdegraphics/libs, digiKam and
exiv2. kipi-plugins is not used there.

Can you confirm this ?

Another point : can you reproduce this dysfunction if you save your
RAW image in TIFF or JPEG ?

It can be interresting to see all debug messages from a console, when
you process a raw image.

I recommend to open a new file in bugzilla about.

Gilles Caulier