[Digikam-users] Workflow for album creation

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 15:16:58 BST 2010

On Saturday 17 July 2010 22:51:38 Andreas Weigl wrote:
> These are the challenges I have:
> 1. How do I mark the images I want to put in it. Do I use tags or the
> starts. I use the start right now to mark how "good" an image is, but I
> don't want just the "very good" images in my album. I'm not sure about
> tags.

I usually do something similar with the photos I put on flickr and with the
ones I send for printing. I use the tag "flickr to do" and the tag "print to
do" and then I use the left tag panel to see all the photos I tagged to put on
flickr o to print.

After I uploaded them or printed them, I remove that tags and give them the
tag to "flickr done" or "print done", so I got a list of all my photos I put on
flickr and all my photos I printed.

I don't think that ratings ("stars") are useful for this king of use. I prefer
use them to filter good and bad photos form an album, so I can find keepers and
photos to remove.
But usually I have some technically bad shot (low rating) that I love or want
to print just because it remembers me an happy moment, or because someone
asked me a print of it.

> 2. How do I change the order. Sometimes I want to show some pictures
> together or in different order than I took them, like a picture of a
> building by day and one by night. Obviously I shot some in between. So I
> want to move it. digikam only allows me to order the images by date or
> name.

If you use tags to filter images, you'll see that the order of the images in
the tag view is mostly dependent form the album where the images are, and
after it it depends from the time or name of the files.

> Of course I could put the copy the images in a directory and than go into
> the task of renaming them. But this doesn't seem quite efficient.

I don't see the problem here. If you're going to put that images on a web
page, you'd copy them on another directory anyway. So why don't reorder them
once you copied them, just changing their names?

For me the easy way could be to copy them on a dir, open that dir with
krename, reorder them and rename them adding a numeric prefix, so I could keep
the original name, just in case I want to retrieve the original images later.
After that I create the web page and upload everything.

regards
gerlos

--
"Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do
more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do