[Digikam-users] digikam and mysql

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 01:43:19 BST 2010

Hi digiKam users,

When I set up my digiKam 10.4 database, I installed mysql first,
because I wanted to created the database with mysql instead of sqlite.
My understanding is that mysql will scale better and perhaps be more
reliable. True? I am not well-versed in mysql, or sqlite, or digiKam
for that matter.

For some reason digiKam couldn't connect to mysql. Is mysql actually
supported yet? I searched the internet and found references to qmysql.
But on Lucid Ubuntu the closest program I could find is
libqt4-sql-mysql, which is also installed.

I added myself to the mysql users with what I think is full
privileges. But I didn't create an empty database.

Does digiKam create its own mysql database? Are there instructions
somewhere? Does using mysql with digiKam require a full kde
environment? I checked the users manual and searched the mailing list
but didn't find a digiKam-mysql "how to".

Thanking you for any enlightenment

Elle