[Digikam-users] Setting tags from command line?

Anders Kamf anders.kamf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 22:12:32 GMT 2010

Hi!

I want to tag a large number of pictures from command line using e.g.
exiftool, but it seems to be a little bit unclear which exif-tag to
set in order to get digiKam to read it.

digiKam seems to write tag metadata to four exif tags (when tagging
from digiKam and choose 'Write metadata to each file'):
 TagsList
 HierarchicalSubject
 Subject
 Keywords

The first two contains the tags with its hierarchical structure, but
with different separators. The latter two contains only the tag
without the hierarchy.
I have used exiftool to set all of these, except 'TagsList' since
exiftool doesn't seem to support that tag, and then in digiKam
selected 'Read metadata from file to database'. But digiKam doesn't
care about the tags I have added with exiftool. And when choosing
'Write metadata to each file' digiKam overwrite the updated tags with
the old ones from its database.
Does anybody know whether 'TagsList' is the only metadata tag digiKam
bother about when it 'Read metadata from file to database'? I find it
strange that it don't seem to care about 'HierarchicalSubject'.

(In previous version of digiKam it was possible to write an
hierarchical tag to the exif tag 'Keywords', but that doesn't work in
my current version of digiKam).

I'm running digiKam:
  Version 1.0.0-beta5
  Using KDE 4.3.2 (KDE 4.3.2)