[Digikam-users] Black and white images

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 10:24:35 GMT 2010

2010/1/28 davidvincentjones <davidvj at verizon.net>:

> There are a few things that I notice on importing raw B/W images into DK.
> from my Canon 50D
>
> 1. Although the thumbnail shows a B/W image the raw decode treats the data
> as if it is full color.

Normal. Raw data are always in color.

Preview is preprocessed image in B&W

I has the same behavior in my Minolta camera.

> 2. The Canon and EXIF information is not indicating that this is in B/W

Exiv2 relevant, typicaly it's in Makernote, not in standard Exif metadata.

Sound like Canon makernote are outdated or you use an old Exiv2 release.

> 3. Adjusting the curve in the Color> B/W operation is not as sophisticated
> as in the Color> Curves-Adjust ... it would be noce to have some consistancy
> in this area.

Hum. As operation are preprocessed to convert RGB to B&W, and curve
applied to B&W, this is a non sence to have RGB curves there.
Typicialy, curve is just to adjust brighness for high/middle/low
levels.

Gilles