[Digikam-users] Writing metadata to image files

Julien Narboux jnarboux at narboux.fr
Sun Jan 10 17:08:04 GMT 2010

spinsheet a écrit :
> I am a bit of a novice user of photo library software and as such have some
> basic questions. I do not quite understand what the 'Tools' > 'Write
> metadata to all images' option does. My assumption is that it does just what
> it says, but I'm not sure of the details. What are the implications? Does it
> write ALL of the metadata to the images (tags, comments, copyright, etc.)?
> Are other photo library applications now able to see the metadata associated
> with the images?
Yes, all other applications which supports EXIF, IPCT ...
> If the metadata is written to the images themselves, is
> there still a purpose to the database file that DigiKam uses?
Yes, for performance and for people who do not want to write the
metadata in the pictures and for picture format which can not contain
metadata.
> Are there
> performance implications to doing this? Is there a way to have DigiKam write
> these metadata to the images as it is entered or must the tools option be
> used every so often to write it?

Yes, it is an option, look in the preferences. It is also a question of
the first time wizard when you lunch digikam for the first time.

Hope this helps.

Julien