[Digikam-users] Writing metadata to image files

spinsheet spinsheet at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 16:23:26 GMT 2010

I am a bit of a novice user of photo library software and as such have some
basic questions. I do not quite understand what the 'Tools' > 'Write
metadata to all images' option does. My assumption is that it does just what
it says, but I'm not sure of the details. What are the implications? Does it
write ALL of the metadata to the images (tags, comments, copyright, etc.)?
Are other photo library applications now able to see the metadata associated
with the images? If the metadata is written to the images themselves, is
there still a purpose to the database file that DigiKam uses? Are there
performance implications to doing this? Is there a way to have DigiKam write
these metadata to the images as it is entered or must the tools option be
used every so often to write it?

One reason for my asking is that I would like to use DigiKam on the network,
allowing many people to have read access to the images and everyone seeing
the same tags, if these metadata where written to the images themselves,
this might accomplish that.

Thanks,
Todd