[Digikam-users] Digikam-users Digest, Vol 56, Issue 24

Duffields dhltd at telus.net
Sat Jan 9 18:48:52 GMT 2010

On Fri January 8 2010 11:57:53 am digikam-users-request at kde.org wrote:
> Message: 11
> Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 20:57:02 +0100
> From: Robert Zeller <robert.zeller at robert-zeller.org>
> Subject: Re: [Digikam-users] Digikam-users Digest, Vol 56, Issue 10
>         Giles reply to frustrated NEW user
> To: digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the
>         power of        open source <digikam-users at kde.org>
> Cc: Duffields <dhltd at telus.net>
>
> Mac,
>
> your problem not being able to save edited images to your NAS is
> certainly not a digikam related problem. I am using a similar set up
> here, with an open SuSE 11.2 Linux system on a workstation and a QNAP
> NAS, that I use to store my data. I am able to edit my images in digikam
> on the workstation and restore them to the NAS without any problems. To
> me it seems that your problem may be related to the way your NAS file
> systems are mounted on your workstation.
> On my installation the NAS file systems are exported as CIFS via Samba;
> and mounted automatically on my SuSE workstation as:
>
> //qnap/Qmultimedia on /media/QNAP/Qmultimedia type cifs
> (rw,mand,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>
> the entry in /etc/fstab reads as follows:
>
> //qnap/Qmultimedia  /media/QNAP/Qmultimedia  cifs
> uid=1001,gid=100,user,username=robert,password=xxxxxx ,auto  0  0
>
> ( //qnap/Qmultimedia being the NAS cifs file system;
> /media/QNAP/Qmultimedia being the mount point on the SuSE workstation)
>
> I am using the same username (robert in this case) on both the
> workstation and the NAS; password is the password that I use for
> "robert" to logon to the QNAP NAS.
>
> Sorry, that I have no experience with Ubuntu. Anyway, hope this
> information may be useful.
>
> Robert

Thanks for the suggestions but over the past year, I have tried those and many
others that have been made.  Here is a rundown of the entire story as briefly
as I can make it:

Beginning with Ubuntu 8.10, I was not able to save almost any form of edited
file on the NAS (A DNS-323)  They system could see the files, open them and,
under some condition, delete them but not save edits.   The only application
that could save edits was NoteCase Pro.

I appealed to the forums and none of the offered suggestions worked so I
reverted back to Ubuntu 8.04.

When I tried Ubuntu 9.10,  I found that:
ALL text editors can save edits to files located on the NAS.
OpenOffice can save edits to files on the NAS
RawTherapee, a photo editing package, can save edits to the NAS.
GIMP could save edits to the NAS
digiKam and showFoto COULD NOT SAVE edits to the NAS
AND when I use the GIMP as an external editor from within digiKam and
showFoto, the GIMP CAN NOT SAVE edited images.

If I reboot the computer and do not use the GIMP as an external editor from
withing digiKam, GIMP can, once again save an edit on the NAS.

So with my limited knowledge of computer systems, I am left to conclude that
something within digiKam is the problem.    What else can I conclude when
every other editing application works but digiKam does not AND digiKam breaks
the external editor used within digiKam?

There was obviously a problem in the new Linux kernel incorporated in Ubuntu
8.10 but that problem or most of it much have been fixed in subsequent
releases.  The only remaining applications that appear to be affected, that I
use, is digiKam and showFoto both of which, I assume, use the same editing
engine.

Yes part of the problem may still lie elsewhere but I am not Linux systems
person and I can only blame the application with which I have the actual
problem.

As I said before QUEL FRUSTRATION!

Mac