[Digikam-users] Users manual?

Tom Cloyd tomcloyd at comcast.net
Tue Jan 5 20:32:21 GMT 2010

On 01/05/2010 12:14 PM, Wilkins, Vern W wrote:
> One thing people tend to forget is that the majority of people working on projects like digiKam are not getting paid in any way for their work.  I think it's reasonable to ask developers for things, but complaining about all that is wrong with an application or Linux in general is not productive.  The fact that people are donating their free time to write code I can use is good enough for me.  If I have to give up some of my precious time to understand how to make it work that's a compromise I choose to make instead of buying propriety crap from MS, ADBE, or anyone else.  If you don't want to make that compromise, it's understandable, but it's not simply the fault of developers for not making things easy.
>
> Assuming that digiKam developers have limited time I'd be ok with never seeing any documentation and having them concentrate on new features, new releases, bug fixes, etc.  Yes I always want more, but I'm happy with whatever I get!
>
> Vern

I'll say it again: This looks like a great program. I'm eager to use it.
But not if I have figure it out by trial and error or spend hours
guessing where I might find instructions which the program interface
plainly says exists. In my initial contact with it, it took two hours to
find any real documentation. It should have taken two seconds: Help >
User Manual.

A confession: My complaint has a purpose - I want the right people to
get it that naive users don't bear up well under such insults. It
doesn't matter how many unpaid hours you put into a project. Good
intentions don't count. Just usability. Sorry if that upsets anyone, but
it's just the fact of the matter.

If you want the program to be used only by experts, geeks, and folks
looking for a nifty way to fill up hours of empty time, hide the
documentation. Or put the program out and let others (like packagers)
worry about whether the documentation goes along with the binary or not.
You're just doing it for the love, right? Well, that must be self love,
'cause frustration on the user end of things breeds no love.

So, if anyone felt my pissed-offness, good. That was my purpose. Wish
you'd been in the room a couple of days ago, when I was having the
experience. You'd really have felt it then. This program immediately
looks like a lot of intelligence went into it. And you're not going to
make it easy for me to learn what all that technobabble means and does?
Really? You don't care???

Believe me, if *I* have trouble, many more who know less than I do will
simply walk away in disgust. I'd hate to see that happen with something
as fine as Linux in general the DigiKam in general. What a tragedy.

Obviously this is NOT just a Linux problem. Designing good user
interfaces, in the  most general sense of the term, is really hard,
which is why we see so few of them, and why we have to keep listening to
users (that would be me) and thinking about the problem. That's why I
FILL my own profession website with all manner of documentation for what
I do (which helps, but does not solve the problem, in truth).

It's not a computer problem, it's a human cultural problem, and most
programmers simply aren't up to it, which is why there needs to be a
handoff to someone else.

As it is, most people in my profession - highly educated folks, all of
them - can barely use computers, and very few programs ON those
computers, at that. Sigh. We have much work to do.

t.

Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<<  tc at tomcloyd.com>>  (email)
<<  TomCloyd.com>>  (website)
<<  sleightmind.wordpress.com>>  (mental health issues weblog)