[Digikam-users] digkam albums don't update on the fly

Vlado Plaga rechner at vlado-do.de
Fri Jan 1 22:39:55 GMT 2010

Am Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:02:41 +0100
schrieb Martin Senftleben <DrMartinus at drmartinus.de>:

> > 2. If you hadn't selected "safe metadata to pictures" previously,
>
> I looked for that option and didn't find it. Where is it?

German: Einstellungen / digiKam einrichten / Metadaten
English: Settings / configure digiKam / Metadata

I marked everything except "Write meta data to RAW files
(experimental)". My camera only produces JPEG files, so this is not an
issue for me.

> >    do so now, then go to "tools" / "Write Metadata to images"
> >  ("Extras/ Metadaten in alle Bilder schreiben" in German).
>
> Ouch, that will take long. I have about 50.000 images in the various
> folders.

It did take an hour or so for the 2000 pictures on my (slow)
computer... but even if it would take 24 hours for you, that should not
really be a problem.

A bigger problem is the bug with writing meta data to _all_ images. If
you don't have many folders with more than 200 pictures - ok, you can
fix them by hand. Otherwise you should probably wait for a fix or a
workaround. I tried selecting all the pictures I wanted to write the
tags to, then selected "write metadata to image", but this caused
digiKam to freeze with 'just' 1500 pictures (from one directory with
sub-albums) selected.

> I liked that software and am a bit puzzled about these to me new
> problems.

"pain is so close to pleasure" ;-)

But I'm sure a fix can be found. Maybe Marcel, who asks you for the
debug information, finds a real solution.