[Digikam-users] Is Digikam stable on KDE SC 4.4?

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sat Feb 27 12:50:43 GMT 2010

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, Vlado Plaga wrote:

> Am Sat, 27 Feb 2010 13:05:36 +0100 (CET)
> schrieb Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker at web.de>:
>
> > Hmm, does that mean to get a stable digikam
> > one has to install the svn version of the upcoming 4.4.1 ?
>
> As of today, stable digiKam is version 1.1 and that is working well
> with KDE 4.3. I'm currently using Debian "unstable" which includes
> both (KDE 4.3.4 and digiKam 1.1), and is not that unstable after all
> (but still occasionally introduces new problems, of course).
>
> [...]
>
> > I am asking because with my old ubuntu 08.04 it seems
> > that I have to go along that route
> > (updating is not possible at this point ... ;-( )
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron"... getting digiKam 1.x to work there might be
> difficult indeed. This release did not even include KDE 4 yet!

With
  deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main
in /etc/apt/sources.list    I get
  ii  kdelibs5   4:4.1.2-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1
and compiling digikam from trunk works
fine (apart from two small issues, where newer KDE features
are used, but they can be hacked away  ... ;-).

> Why is
> updating not possible? Ubuntu 10.04, the next LTS version, is already
> knocking at the door (but I'd wait two or three weeks for "beta 1"
> before switching to that):
>
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/LucidLynx/Alpha3/Kubuntu
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule

Thanks for the pointers - I am well aware of that, but
I have to stay in sync with the other machines we use at
work and we have several additional (private) packages for
the group. So the upgrade will happen earliest at the end of July ...

Best, Arnd