[Digikam-users] a few minor questions

jim junk junk_jim at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 01:52:17 GMT 2010

> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:26:12 +0100
> From: hazuki-kun at gmx.de
> To: digikam-users at kde.org
> Subject: [Digikam-users] a few minor questions
>
> Hello fellow digikam users,
>
> I'm using Version 0.10.0
> in wich it seems you cant "print" the metatag-data right into the files (pictures) afterwards.
>
> I tagged nearly 2 GB tough and dont want to go my weeks of work, go to waste.
>
> I had problems installing the new version (I heard you can "fuse" the pics with the metatag-data so it is IN the pic, in the new vers.) also im scared it will remove the SQLite2-Datenbank and with it...my tags if i install the new version. (does it???)
>
> so here is the question: if i take all my pictures AND the SQLite2-Datenbank and put it on another PC and install digikam. will the program find it?
>
> also...
> if i would like to view all tags on a pic...how do i do it?...i searched for a long time and the only way i found was:
> right click on the picture --> cursor on "remove tag" ---> and you can see the tags

There are many ways to accomplish this.
1. I'd go to SETTINGS>CONFIGURE DIGIKAM> ALBUM VIEW and make sure that "Show Digikam tags is checked."  That should make Digikam show the tags on the album thumbnails.

You should also be able to open the right panel by clicking on Captions/tags and then click on the box just to the right of the search window.  You should then be able to click on any thumbnail and it will show you what tags are attached to the photo in the open right hand panel.

In the same right panel you can click on the Metadata tab and you should be able to see your tag for the selected image as well.  If I use the right click then add tag method of tagging I don't seem to be able to see the tag in the meta data window until I've gone to the IMAGE menu then clicked on WRITE METADATA TO IMAGE.  If I do that then the right panel meta data window will show the tag.  Notice that if I use the right panel CAPTIONS/TAGS widow to tag images then I don't have to worry about the above procedure.  Also when I first tagged an image from that window I then clicked on the more button and then clicked on write metadata then clicked on apply and another window opened asking something like did I always want to write the metadata to the image and I clicked yes.

I use DigiKam 1.0.0

One more point.  If you click on the album title in the main widow thumbnail view that will select all of the images and then you can use the image/write metadata to image command to transfer all of your tags from the data base to the images.