[Digikam-users] Version control of photos in Digikam?

Mattias Carlsson powerphysics at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 10 20:29:04 GMT 2010

Dear List,

I have recently migrated my 15 GB photo archive to Digikam, a mammoth task, and have finally ended up with a manageable, usable and searchable photo archive! Thanks to all developers!

However, next subject on my list of ToDo to organise my computer is Version Control. My application of choice is Subversion and in exploring the possibilities within realise this is exactly the feature I wold also like to see for my photo archive! I.e. get all originals organised in the database, and then edit the photos at will with e.g. Gimp to improve them, and still have an easy overview of versions so that the originals are always readily accessible!

Now, I am sure this is not a new idea, so thus I am asking the list, what previous experiences and ideas exist on this? Have this feature been considered for inclusion in Digikam, and if so what is the current view (feasible or not?) and status? (If it is already there, I will look like an idiot asking this, but if so please at least point me in the right direction!)

Also, have anyone done this before and have any helpful advice on what to think about etc.? E.g. complications with versioning, include database file or not in revision control?

Very thankful for any ideas / links / comments on this!

Thanks,

Mattias