[Digikam-users] Re: Newb discovers the perils of "endorsed" PPAs!

Errol Sapir errol at tzora.co.il
Tue Dec 28 14:10:07 GMT 2010

On 12/23/2010 07:10 AM, Michael Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, December 22, 2010 9:08:30 AM Mark Greenwood wrote:
>
>> If you're interested in trying a different distro - one that keeps more up to
>> date without the need to use potentially dodgy PPAs - you could try Arch linux,
>>
>> although I'm not reccomending it as I've never used it myself. Had this been a
>> year ago I'd have reccomended Mandriva, but that's a bit dead in the water
>> these
>>
>> days.
>
> Just chiming in here, as someone who's been using Arch Linux for a year and a
> half or so: it's a great distro if you want cutting-edge versions of software;
> the versions available in the repositories are updated almost in tandem with
> upstream, which I really enjoy.  Arch is also great if you like having a great
> deal of control over your system, because it leaves most configuration decisions
> up to you (rather than making them all automatically).
>
> However, it is undeniably harder to get set up and get running than something
> like Ubuntu is; it makes fewer assumptions about what you want.  It won't even
> install a window manager by default; that's up to you.  But if you like that
> control, and don't mind tinkering on the command line, I highly recommend it.
>   The community is also quite helpful, even though it's smaller than for Ubuntu.
>
> If that's not what you're looking for, but you would like a rolling release
> distro (no waiting for big version updates, like Ubuntu), you might watch
> openSUSE Tumbleweed, which was recently announced.  It's just starting, but once
> it's done it sounds interesting.
>
> Michael

My 2c for a distro. Try pcLinux2010. I can recommend it for DIgikam as
it installs the latest version and keeps abreast of recent updates. I
prefer the way it installs and uses Digikam to Kubuntu or other os's. I
have it as a dual boot and swap between Kubuntu and PClinux using the
latter when I am doing a lot of photo work. There are downsides to
PCLinux (for me) but as I have never been a good compiler of Digikam
this is the way I keep the latest Digikam without waiting too long. My
photos are on a external drive so I can view them with Kubuntu which is
my main OS, but for a "photo work" session I boot PCLinux.
It may be a roundabout way to go but it works for me.
Errol