[Digikam-users] Re: Newb discovers the perils of "endorsed" PPAs!

Michael Johnson mjjohnson.geo at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 05:10:46 GMT 2010

On Wed, December 22, 2010 9:08:30 AM Mark Greenwood wrote:

> If you're interested in trying a different distro - one that keeps more up to
> date without the need to use potentially dodgy PPAs - you could try Arch linux,
>
> although I'm not reccomending it as I've never used it myself. Had this been a

> year ago I'd have reccomended Mandriva, but that's a bit dead in the water
>these
>
> days.

Just chiming in here, as someone who's been using Arch Linux for a year and a
half or so: it's a great distro if you want cutting-edge versions of software;
the versions available in the repositories are updated almost in tandem with
upstream, which I really enjoy.  Arch is also great if you like having a great
deal of control over your system, because it leaves most configuration decisions
up to you (rather than making them all automatically).

However, it is undeniably harder to get set up and get running than something
like Ubuntu is; it makes fewer assumptions about what you want.  It won't even
install a window manager by default; that's up to you.  But if you like that
control, and don't mind tinkering on the command line, I highly recommend it.
 The community is also quite helpful, even though it's smaller than for Ubuntu.

If that's not what you're looking for, but you would like a rolling release
distro (no waiting for big version updates, like Ubuntu), you might watch
openSUSE Tumbleweed, which was recently announced.  It's just starting, but once
it's done it sounds interesting.

Michael