[Digikam-users] Re: Albums on USB and the database

Graham Dicker graham.dicker at antecor.com
Tue Dec 28 11:39:46 GMT 2010

On Thursday 23 December 2010 17:16:27 Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
> > I wasn't aware of the removable drive option when I first installed
> > digikam and now I cannot find an option for changing it from Local to
> > Removable. But it may not work on my version anyway because if I create a
> > collection (call it Abcdef) using the removable media button then when I
> > next go into settings the Abcdef collection is  listed under Local
> > collections and captions still disappear if I run digikam with the Abcdef
> > drive removed.
>
> Then there's probably something deeper broken, we get hardware information
> from KDE Solid which reads it from HAL (udev in the future), so if HAL
> fails, digikam is blind.
>
> > Could I upgrade while still keeping the same OS version (SUSE 11.1)?
>
> Can't tell you if there's a working package. If anyone has packaged digikam
> on the build service, probably.
> Note: We are at 1.7 now, seven versions after 0.10.0.

Thank you for your advice. I have installed another drive in my workstation
with openSUSE 11.3 on it. This comes with digikam 1.2.0 which appears to
behave as I want with regard to preserving captions when renaming images and
albums. However, I cannot find any instructions on how to migrate databases. I
tried using the old 0.10.0 database file with the new version, and it didn't
crash or object and it showed my tags but it isn't showing any thumbnails and
the menu options for adding new images and regenerating thumbnails don't do
anything.

More advice sought please!

Graham Dicker