[Digikam-users] Re: Compiling Issues (my version of the wheel)

Michael G. Hansen mike at mghansen.de
Sun Dec 19 18:07:31 GMT 2010

On 12/19/2010 06:06 PM, Hevï Guy wrote:
> I think that I've finally found such a detailed map:
> http://www.digikam.org/drupal/download/SvnAlongStable (thank you very
> much, Mike Hansen!).

Given that these instructions are only editable by people with a
digikam.org account, and that these people don't always try to compile
digikam on a variety of platforms, maybe we should move these
instructions to http://userbase.kde.org/Digikam, where any
user/developer can sign up and contribute, when he finds errors.

Now is the question, how do we care about all the different Linux
distributions? The compilation-instructions (cmake, make, ...) are
mostly the same, it only differs in the way that packages are installed.
So make one set of instructions for each distribution?

Proposed Structure for newbie-friendly compilation instructions for digikam:

Compiling digikam
- General notes
   - Tarballs versus svn checkout
   - CMake flags
   - installation to /usr or /usr/local or $HOME/bin
   - troubleshooting: ask on digikam-user, try newer svn version, what
to include when asking for help (build log)
- Compiling under Ubuntu/Debian
   - General notes about apt-get, repositories, creating packages via
checkinstall, etc
   - Version-specific instructions for Ubuntu X
   - Version-specific instructions for Ubuntu X+1
   - Version-specific instructions for Ubuntu X+2 ...
- Compiling under Fedora
   - General notes about installation of dependencies under Fedora (I
have no idea about that)
   - Version-specific instructions for Fedora X
   - Version-specific instructions for Fedora X+1

What do you think? Anybody willing to start such a document could also
have a look at these pages for inspiration:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started

Michael