[Digikam-users] Re: Help. My wife demands access to our images. (Windows, network access, multi user)

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sat Dec 11 11:24:13 GMT 2010

Am Freitag, 10. Dezember 2010 schrieb Linuxguy123:
> I'm running DK 1.6 on my Fedora 14 box with the images stored
> locally on an ext3 drive.
>
> My wife is demanding access to our images (from her Windows 7
> computer).

As someone else pointed out: samba is most likely the way to go.

> What is the best and easiest way to accomplish this ?
>
> I know we've discussed this before, but DK can now use MySQL as the
> DB backend, so I'm wondering what has changed.

As digikam may be able to use mysql (i have not used it), I have all
my photos on a server (NFS from linux and samba from windows clients).
As I don't like my digikam database altered by someone else than me,
my children and my wife have to use their own digikam database. All
user data are stored on the server as well, so the data are consistent
between windows and linux. With this every user can rate their
pictures to their own needs (as long they do not store the metadata
into the photos - which is forbidden by file access for most photos I
shot).

But I must confess: my wife usually order me to pick some photos
instead of doing it herself. So to about 99% I am the only one working
on photos.

Martin