[Digikam-users] Reflections on moving albums between collections

Stedtlund falolaf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 11:46:01 GMT 2010

Hi,

Some time ago I decided to rearrange my images. Before I started I
took backup of all images and the db.

When I started I used digiKam 1.5.0 so the first bullet happend with
this version. I also use version-matching kipi-plugins. I have built
digiKam/kipi-plugins myself on openSuse 11.3. At the moment I use
KDE4.5.3.

#1:
In the middle of the move of one album with around 300 images, digiKam
crashed. When I restarted digiKam the album was present in both
locations but only with, the same, 79 images in them. On disk all the
images were moved to the new location.
Is there a way to recover from this? Or do I need to use the backup?

The rest seems to be true both for 1.5.0 and 1.6.0.

#2:
When an album has been moved to a new collection, it's still available
in the old collection. All thumbnails are there and the images can be
filtered with their tags. It's not until another album is moved,
deleted or created the moved album is deleted from it's original
space. Is this a known fault/feature?

On disk the images are moved to the new space as expected.

#3:
(I'm still using sqlite)
When moving albums like above the db gets bigger and bigger. When I
started the db was just under 16MB and when I was finished it was just
over 24MB. Only thing done was moving albums. I haven't looked in the
tables so I don't know if there are any duplicate entries or such.

When 1.6.0 was delivered I saw that there was a bug fixed that
prevented the db to be cleaned. I upgrade to 1.6.0  in hope of that
was the problem. But it seemed not to help in this situation, the db
still increases.

Any comments on that? Can I clean the db? If that's the problem.

/Anders