[Digikam-users] Transferring image files and database to new hard drive

Darren Kirby bulliver at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 23:08:23 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Andreas Tono <andreas.tono at web.de> wrote:

> Think about the timestamps for each file in the filesystem.
> If digikam keeeps that also in the database you may get a problem.
>
> On Linux i would use the rsync command.
> rsync -a sourcedir targetdir
>
> Beware: there is a differenc in if you put a slash after sourcedir/
>
> If you are not familiar with rsync read manual an do some exeriments
> on testfolders till you know what you are doing.
>
> With rsync you kan keep folders and files the same on different
> filesystems.

Thanks Andreas, that's the gotcha I was looking for. I am familiar
with rsync, and I was going to use it to transfer the files but I
likely would have overlooked the flag to preserve timestamps.

I've just realized I don't have a spare SATA cable, so I'll have to
delay this another day :(

Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
I'm on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/