[Digikam-users] Building digikam on windows

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 21:08:12 BST 2010

On 26/08/2010 20:38, David Kerber wrote:
> On 8/26/2010 3:20 PM, Peter Shute wrote:
>> But once you've compiled it, how will you distribute it? And which
>> files need distributing? I assume the compilation process creates
>> more than just an exe for digiKam, but also plugins and a whole
>> matching KDE environment. Or am I wrong?
>
> I have no idea right now.  That's one of many things I need to learn
> about it.  I'm hoping that maybe if somebody goes through the KDE on
> windows installation procedure to get a running copy of digiKam,
> that maybe my build may be able to just be copied over the old one,
> and have it run.  But I have no idea right now if that will actually
> work or not.

Digikam is a KDE application. It needs KDE in order to run. You also
need the devel packages available in order to build it. It also needs to
be installed correctly in order for it to find all the resources it
needs such as icons.

Prebuilt Digikam for windows is available through KDE on Windows project
http://windows.kde.org/ but if you want the latest version you will have
to build it all yourself using emerge or the precompiled packages
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows. Perhaps if
the KDE on Windows people were aware of the interest in Digikam then
they may be encouraged to update the binary version sooner rather than
later.

Andrew