[Digikam-users] selecting photos

Krister Nielsen nielsenkr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 12:19:40 BST 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de> wrote:
> So what's the usecase?

My "problem" is quite simply that one of the things that I (and the
wife) do most often with a photo organizer is select images (sometimes
from multiple albums) and email them to friends / family. I really
don't want to have to tag images when doing this (and getting the wife
to do so would be... unrealistic).

> I can accept this argument. Previewing need not clear the selection. It may be
> difficult to implement because it is default behavior probably implemented
> deeply inside Qt.
>
> How would you want to make this usable? You would have invisibly selected
> items. You can switch to any album, to any tag, any search. Should all
> previously selected items stay selected? If you clear the current selection,
> should all selections be cleared? This can't work.

Although probably a lot more complex to implement, the solution to
both these problems *seems* obvious: Have the selected photos shown
(in small thumbnails) e.g. along the bottom. Then the user could
separately interact with this "stack" of photos, tag them, flip them
on the light board, whatever.