[Digikam-users] Lost tags and album thumbnails

Rei Shinozuka shino at panix.com
Wed Apr 21 13:28:53 BST 2010

The NAS exports NFS and it's mounted as a filesystem on my computer.
/nfs-raid01/data.  I set it up that way before there was "Collections on
Network Shares" option.  I started using digikam in the pre 1.0 days and
back then your albums were rooted at one directory, so I've never used
any of the collection features.

When the NAS was accidentally off in my incident, the /nfs-raid01/data
mountpoint would have been empty and digikam showed no images (I don't
remember it showing any errors either).  I hoped by shutting down
digikam and then restoring the NAS, digikam would "remember" what
"should" have been there and thus restore tags and album thumbnails, but
i think it went ahead and just thought the data was all new (took hours
rebuilding) and thus forgot about the tags and album thumbnails.  funny
thing is that digikam4.db is huge, 120MB, also thumbnail-digikam.db is
869MB.

In any case, ideally the software should tolerate the fact that data are
sometimes temporarily unavailable and retain what appear to be "dead
paths." I think only human intervention should actively inform the
software that the files are permanently gone, as opposed to an
intermittent outages such as a NAS off-line, network outage, or an
unplugged USB drive.  itunes for example (which often confounds me for
other reasons), does generally tolerate having the data unavailable and
subsequently brought back on-line (as in network share or usb disk).

i actually do happen have a recent backup with snapshot of the .digikam
files, would it be as easy as restoring the old .db files and then
restarting digikam?

Thanks,

-rei