[Digikam-users] DocumentName tag and autorotate when importing

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 12:59:12 BST 2010

2010/4/7 Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com>:
> 2010/4/7 Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>:
>> 2010/4/7 Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com>:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I just saw one thing with the metadata added when importing and has
>>> the auto rotate option activated. If the picture is rotated during
>>> import the metadata tags DocumentName, ImageWidth and ImageLength is
>>> added. For the pictures not rotated this tags is not added. Can
>>> someone else verify this?
>>>
>>> For me the DocumentName tag is really handy is it contains the
>>> original filename before renamed during import and i would like to see
>>> it added for all files imported.
>>
>> well, if file are not touched during import, metadata still as well...
>>
>> When autorotating is performed, metadata need to be adjusted (as image
>> size). This is why DocumentName is added.
>>

> Ok!
>
> But in my case the metadata is touched as i have a metadata template
> added when importing, shouldn't the DocumentName tag be added in that
> case?

yes, it must.

> Anyhow as I wrote the DocumentName tag could be useful even if the
> image is not rotated or changed and I think it should be added for all
> pictures when importing/renaming or do I missunderstand the purpose of
> the tag?

Look DocumentName documentation there :

http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/tifftags/documentname.html

Typically, it contain the original filename, after a post processing.
Ex : RAW is demosaiced and saved to PNG. DocumentName is set to
original Raw file name.

This can be useful to set this tag to original file name when image
file is renamed (in batch mode for ex.)

Gilles