[Digikam-users] Face recognition

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:49:01 BST 2009

On martedì 29 settembre 2009 12:38:48, Micha? Smoczyk wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > I was wondering what is the state of face recognition in digikam?  I feel this
> > is the biggest feature that digikam seems to be missing at present.
>
> Not implemented at all, I think. Stephan, I don't think about this
> feature as biggest missing, I, presonally, usually shoot photos not
> to humans. This is not needed, at least for me.

For me too. I don't consider it an "important feature", almost for me. I'm not sure if it could be useful to me.
But, still, it would be nice to have it. :-)

> And some complicated algorithm is needed to face recognition I
> suppose. Open source may have problems implementing it I think.

I'm happy to say that you're wrong! (maybe you also will be happy to be wrong, this time) :-)
There's already an open source library that supports these features: openCV!
Look here:
http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/FaceRecognition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KhP3O3GeYs&feature=related
http://is.gd/3MI5u

> If I am right, Picassa has this function.

Unfortunately, Picasa isn't open source. :-(

bye bye
gerlos

PS Ok, stop now... if I look one time more at that videos, I won't be able to live without that features on my linuxbox any more! ;-)

--
"Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more
of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something