[Digikam-users] How do I set up Digikam for network access by multiple users ?

Brano branob at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 18:33:42 BST 2009

On 09/16/2009 12:42 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:

>>> You may be waiting a long time ...better review with dev team what's in
>>> developement and due dates.
>>> Mysql support does not imply multi user access management will be
>>> implemented day one (if at all).
>>>
>> MySQL support is on our schedule for the coding sprint this October/November.
>> Multi-user support, concurrent access, including locking or conflic
>> resolution, is a more difficult story.
>>
> Speaking from experience, its really easy to handle multi user access...
> create 2 access types.  First one is RW, second one is read only.  The
> first person to log into the db gets RW.  All others are read only.
> Tell the user what connection they have when they log in.  If they don't
> like what they get, they can log out and kick off the person who has RW
> access.
>
> It will work for 80% of the users needs.  Most people (me) just want to
> be able to put the pictures and db on a networked drive and be able to
> access it from a variety of computers.  Having concurrent editing access
> for multiple users would be nice to have, but just having remote access
> would be a good start, even if only one person has rw privileges.
>
> The team could implement concurrent multi user editing access at a later
> date.
>
> I also like the idea of having a read only user permission because I
> don't want everyone being able to edit the pictures and tags, especially
> deleting raw files or jpegs if there is only one of them.  I would like
> to see DigiKam use a trash setup (either from the OS or within itself)
> for this very reason.
>
> Imagine having 20,000 tagged images and a user who doesn't understand
> things removes a couple tags from the tag list when they meant to remove
> them from a few pictures.   Hours and hours of work is lost in 30
> seconds. :shudder:

Well, no offense, but how about daily backups? It's not that other users
can screw up your collection, you can as easily do a wrong click and
have things gone for good. Not speaking of very possible HDD failure.
Disks are so cheap today, photos are priceless, invest to a secondary
HDD and do some kind of rsync daily.
(I personally have all my valuables (photos) on RAID-5 disks rsyncing to
backup disk daily)