[Digikam-users] How do I set up Digikam for network access by multiple users ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 17:42:42 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 18:15 +0200, Marcel Wiesweg wrote:

> > > Thanks for sharing that.   I'm going go hold off on setting up my multi
> > > user system until that ships.
> >
> > You may be waiting a long time ...better review with dev team what's in
> > developement and due dates.
> > Mysql support does not imply multi user access management will be
> > implemented day one (if at all).
>
> MySQL support is on our schedule for the coding sprint this October/November.
> Multi-user support, concurrent access, including locking or conflic
> resolution, is a more difficult story.

Speaking from experience, its really easy to handle multi user access...
create 2 access types.  First one is RW, second one is read only.  The
first person to log into the db gets RW.  All others are read only.
Tell the user what connection they have when they log in.  If they don't
like what they get, they can log out and kick off the person who has RW
access.

It will work for 80% of the users needs.  Most people (me) just want to
be able to put the pictures and db on a networked drive and be able to
access it from a variety of computers.  Having concurrent editing access
for multiple users would be nice to have, but just having remote access
would be a good start, even if only one person has rw privileges.

The team could implement concurrent multi user editing access at a later
date.

I also like the idea of having a read only user permission because I
don't want everyone being able to edit the pictures and tags, especially
deleting raw files or jpegs if there is only one of them.  I would like
to see DigiKam use a trash setup (either from the OS or within itself)
for this very reason.

Imagine having 20,000 tagged images and a user who doesn't understand
things removes a couple tags from the tag list when they meant to remove
them from a few pictures.   Hours and hours of work is lost in 30
seconds. :shudder: