[Digikam-users] How to compile in german language translation?

Guenther Erhard guenther.erhard at gmx.de
Thu Oct 22 20:52:21 BST 2009

Hi,

> If you have the correct digikam.po, you would compile it;
> msgfmt -o digikam.mo digikam.po
>
> This gives a digikam.mo file that should be copied/moved to
> the following location;
> /usr/share/locale/XX/LC_MESSAGES (most distros, XX being
> your langID, e.g. de for german).
>
> This should take care of it, restart Digikam if it was running.
>
> on Ubuntu there is a
> /usr/share/locale-langpack/XX/LC_MESSAGES
> but I think it's for some packaced apps.
>
> /opt/kde3/share/locale/XX/LC_MESSAGES (kde3 on suse)
> Actually only digikam.mo is needed for digikam itself, plus
> eventually the bunch of kipiplugins etc.

Thanks for the hints, but this would be a manual step and doing it for
all the plugins would be a pain in the ...

I've done now several attempts and was finally successful:

# cd graphics
# svn co -N
svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/l10n-kde4/de/docmessages/extragear-graphics ./po/de

Then I have added
"macro_optional_add_subdirectory(po)" to CMakeLists.txt

After that I copied out of the beta5 tar-ball the CMakeLists.txt of the
po-directory to the new created po-directory of my local svn
installation and deleted all "add_subdirectory(xx)"-entries except that
one for "de" in the file.

After that I copied out of the beta5 tar-ball the CMakeLists.txt of the
po/de-subdirectory to the po/de-subdirectory of my local svn
installation without changing anything.

Then the usual cmake, make, make install procedure and it worked: a had
bunch of gmo-files which were installed
in /usr/share/locale-langpack/de/LC_MESSAGES and I was able to switch to
german in Digikam.

But I am still wondering why this cannot be automatically installed by
the usual svn up ... procedure? svn up does only install the po-files,
but no CMakeLists.txt. :-(

Does anyone know how to get this behaviour?

TIA
Guenther