[Digikam-users] Monitor calibration hw/sw for linux?

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at volny.cz
Mon Oct 19 06:39:27 BST 2009

Brano píše v St 14. 10. 2009 v 12:48 -0400:
> Slightly off topic, hopefully mods won't mid.
>
> Can anyone recomed monitor calibration hw/sw that works under linux?

A bit of extra information for those interested:

As far as I am aware, there is no consumer grade monitor with hardware
calibration, which would be directly supported by linux tools.

What I do instead is that I create hardware calibration profiles in MS
Windows using the tools from the vendor (these profiles are stored in
the LCD and can be switched using hw buttons). I personally use the
predefined sRGB, AdobeRGB and then full monitor's gamut with D50 white
point.

As a second step, I profile the display using argyllcms tools as usual -
that is, I skip the calibration process (use native values). This
affects only the VCGT in the graphics card, but honestly, the changes
are minor.

Due to missing linux support, I have to manually load the proper display
profile depending on which hw profile is "active". (I use symlinks so
that I do not need to manually change in each application.)

regards,

Milan Knizek
knizek (dot) confy (at) volny (dot) cz
http://www.milan-knizek.net - About linux and photography (Czech