[Digikam-users] Monitor calibration hw/sw for linux?

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 01:54:35 BST 2009

On mercoledì 14 ottobre 2009 18:48:27, Brano wrote:
> Slightly off topic, hopefully mods won't mid.
>
> Can anyone recomed monitor calibration hw/sw that works under linux?

I used a cheap huey (see: http://www.pantone.com/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=79), together with argyllcms (see: http://www.argyllcms.com/) to do a good calibration of my monitor.

The huey works fine out of the box with argyllcms. Before the huey was sold by Gretag-Machbet, later was sold by Pantone, now seems sold by X-Rite, but it's exactly the same hardware. Also, there should be a cheaper "basic" and a less cheaper "pro" version, they have the same hardware, the only difference is the software (for Windows and Mac Os X) they give you; since I was on gnu/linux, I got the "basic" version

The topic is not so easy, but following the argyllcms documentation and some posts from this blog http://jcornuz.wordpress.com/ I found my way out, and put some notes in my blog, so I won't forget. If you understand Italian, they're here: http://gerlos.altervista.org/pinguino-fotografo/gestione-colori-gnulinux

Later on, I discovered dispcalGUI (see: http://hoech.net/dispcalGUI/), just a GUI frontend to argyllcms, and now I use it when I need to calibrate a monitor, it's very comfortable.

I remembered that for a while I tinkered with a littleCMS-based GUI for monitor calibration, but found it quite awkward to use, and there was a lot thing I didn't understand, so I suggest you to avoid it.

Good luck
gerlos

--
"Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more
of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something