[Digikam-users] using digikam with keyboard

Risto Saukonpää paristo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 17:12:14 BST 2009

> 1) how to rotate picture stored in RAW format? I can't find anything
> about it in menu, I have an old DSLR which can't rotate photos itself, I
> need to do it manually, currently I know only how to do it in geeqie and
> only JPGs

As far I know, currently you can not rotate RAW files. Mayby the
experimental function could allow this. I hope someday we get that thing
working (if not already possible).

> 2) how to quickly move picture to another directory? or just "mark it"
> as "good photo"? when I browse 500 photos I need to select for instance
> 50 "good ones", currently I use mouse to move such photos into another
> directory, is it possible to do it quickly with keyboard?

I suggest rating the files first. That is what I do. I use Ctrl+1-5 to
rate photos. Then you can use on filter function on bottom panel to show
wanted photos. Right click the stars and you can select how they are
filtered. This is fastest way (at least for me) when going trought daily
photos. Hardest part is always to give the correct rating, because bad
photo can be turned a master piece by editing them.

I do it on few rounds. First I rate everything with basic 1-5 stars.
Photos what are out of focus or has no subject at all, I do not rate at
all. Later they are easy to select from bottom as "non-rated" and delete.
Then after 2-3 rounds, I have got most photos to 1-2 rating, some photos
to 3-4 and couple to 5. As example, from 500 photos, I would get 200
rating 1. 100 rating 2. 50 rating 3. 15 rating 4 and 2 rating 5. And all
what did not get rated, can be deleted.

Then later when I want to search good photos for development, I can start
just searching with rating. And when I need to build portfolio or
slideshow, I can just select all photos rating 3 or more. After the rating
photos, I start tagging them.

The lighttable is good tool for going trough photos. Because many times
you take 2-4 shots from one subject. So you can compare them easily and
rate them. And the tagging comes really easy after rating all photos. The
hardest part really is to learn own skills, to notice what photo can be
rated as 1 and what just 3. Many times people just rate 1 or 5 star all
nice
what has something intresting. Some people rates almost all with rating 3.
But after few rounds, when keeping in mind that most photos should be
about rating 1 then rating 2 has less and only a few (about 5%) have a
rating 5.

ps. And later on, it is easy to rise or lower the rating just watching
specific rated photos. Then you do not compare them to better or worse,
but you can easily "move" photos to other rating. This helps a lot
sometimes. And after few times this kind job has be done, user learns to
rate easier way own photos and even notice what she or he wants to shoot
next time.