[Digikam-users] rsync collections between two PC / without syncing the database directly

Gerard Milhaud g.is at free.fr
Wed Oct 14 18:22:52 BST 2009

Vlado Plaga a écrit :
> Salut Gerard,
>
> maybe there is an alternative to re-analyzing all the pictures, or to
> somehow also syncing the database: my approach is to have digiKam save
> all the meta information in the pictures,
I have tuned digikam in this way.
> and to just let the program
> look for new pictures (and add their meta information to the database,
> of course) when necessary.
>
> So far this worked very well for me when I just used it to copy some
> new pictures (with tags, ratings etc.) from one computer to another. I
> also used rsync for this.
It's not the way I want to work. I want to tag or modify pictures on one
computer or another depending my location, and then "save" it by
rsync'ing all the collection on the other one. Digikam versions, path to
files are the same on each computer, they are synced. It's very secure
and comfortable...
The hack consisting in changing the UUID in AlbumRoots Table after
rsync'ing is OK, and very simple with a tool like sqlitebrowser. It's an
acceptable solution for me.
> I haven't tested how digiKam reacts to
> pictures that are just modified, but not new. It might be necessary to
> have the file modification date changed from digiKam, whenever adding
> meta information (which in a way makes sense anyway, and the original
> date stays in the EXIF).

rsync is OK for detect tag insertion in pictures, it's perfect for me.
> I'm currently using digiKam 0.10 on Debian on my desktop computer and
> digiKam 1.0beta5 on a Ubuntu 9.10 beta notebook computer. I also had
> digiKam 0.10 on MacOS on the same desktop computer, but it stopped
> working due to an upgrade. Part of the reason I'm not trying to
> directly sync the databases is because I'm afraid of database
> incompatibility issues.
Yes. I think having the same version of digikam is absolutly mandatory.
> Another reason for saving the meta information
> to the pictures is so it does not acidentially get lost under any
> circumstance. It takes a lot of time to add this information, and to me
> it also adds a lot of value to my digital picture collection.

Yes, I completely agree. Hours and hours of tagging... for a funny
parsing of the collection, jumping from any friend to any location to
any hollydays. Fantastic, but so time expensive...
> Vlado

Thanks for your answer,

G.